Saturday 20 November 2010

How come nine out of ten Britons listen to the radio?

There is a legitimate reason for newspapers in the UK to publish radio listings. People here love their radio. Why? Because it listens and talks to them. 

I have always been a fan of radio. At the same time, I have been involved professionally as a broadcaster since 1996. I love conversations about radio especially with people who share the same passion. Gillian Reynolds is a critic for the Daily Telegraph. Her article "Radio critic? It's the best job in the world" inspired me for this post.

I've been trying to figure out why radio is so big in Britain. Now I think I know the answer. The managers don't make any compromises with the content of their programs. The listener is what matters.

Back in Bulgaria

In a way this is what the government or public owned (in Bulgaria is really hard to define the state media) radio is trying to do. The only bad thing is that ghost of communism and government influence is still present there. For the listeners it is not a problem. Horizont is on the top of the ratings. (The link is in Bulgarian)

The private radio will turn twenty next year. However, it still misses a very important point. People can switch off radio at any time. You need to work harder to get their attention. First, try to please them, not the advertisers. Second, don't be on the stage under the spotlight, be with the listener. Third, try to leave the comfort zone of the market research data, be a pioneer.

My favorite radio moments

It is difficult to point out my top radio moments from the Bulgarian radio history. There are definitely dating back to before I started work for radio after high school.  These are the moments that inspired me to become a broadcaster:

A weekend afternoon show on the local branch of the National Radio

I don't remember the name, but I do remember how listeners could call in and talk on the radio. I was impressed by the opportunity to share ideas and talk about things many can relate to.

The VOA Europe

It was the first non-government radio in Bulgaria. I enjoyed the music service of the Voice of America with friendly DJs, good music, and perfect quality of the signal.

The BBC/VOA radio features

This is what I'm trying to learn now at the University of Westminster - how to create programs that tell compelling stories challenging attitudes and making people think.

Still searching

It is strange that I don't have a contemporary favorite Bulgarian radio moment. Probably I see everyone else as competition and just need to distance myself and become a consumer for a bit. On the other hand, owners in Bulgaria should think about why 90.6 % of the population in Britain tune in to radio each week.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your kind words about VOA. It's always nice to hear comments like this. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete