Wednesday 1 December 2010

When I say Tinie, you say Tempah!

The 40 minute wait in the freezing cold last night was totally worth it. Tinie Tempah owned the stage in a wicked show in front of a sold out crowd at Camden’s Koko.



MTV launched its annual Brand New campaign. There are ten nominated acts this year; most of them will be huge in 2011. Watching the previews you can tell who’s favorite. People went crazy for Far East Movement, Wretch 32, Ruff Diamondz, Willow Smith, and of course Labrinth. Five strong contenders, though I would include Jamie Moon as well.

Thinking of Miami and Ibiza

40 minutes waiting in temperatures below 0 was quite challenging for me. I survived and at around 7.30pm I was in; found a good spot on the balcony on the second floor and waited. Around 8 some MTV employees started moving around. The show was about to begin.

Show time

Labrinth kicked off the event and proved to be the strongest nominee. Not only Let the Sun Shine, but ever y song he performed kept people cheering and dancing.
The grime MC Wretch 32 appeared later and prepared the atmosphere for Tinie Tempah.

Disturbing London is the company

Around 10 Tinie Tempah himself took the stage opening with Simply Unstoppable from the Disc-Overy album. I knew it pretty well because just like 90 % of the people there I had the album.
Hit after hit Tinie entertained the under 18 and over 35 jumping across the stage, smiling, and basically enjoying himself. His casual look and attitude is what got the fans.

Of course, his microphone was covered with expensive precious stones, and the cost of his watch probably was the same as my tuition, but that was not what mattered. The only thing I remember from his outfit is the Disturbing London T-Shirt. This is what I want for Christmas.

He was not allowed to swear on TV, but I forgive him. His album just became platinum. And there is a reason for that. Every song could easily be a TOP 40 hit. Five out of 13 have already entered the charts, including the new one Invincible with Kelly Rowland.

Personal

Tinie got personal performing Let Go (with the vocals of Emeli Sande). This is the last song on the album and his favorite. There was a surprising Coldplay song during his set. He and his band were enjoying singing every word from Viva La Vida.

Where’s my clap, where's my encore?

Everybody was waiting for Pass Out and we got it at end. Tinie and Labrinth joined forces and people were jumping up and down so hard that for a minute I thought that the balcony might fall out. That was the moment when Tempah reminded who is his favorite for the MTV Brand New for 2011.

Five star show

Overall the show was success and for me the main reason was Tinie Tempah’s personality. You can tell that he was there to have fun with his fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment